Holy Trinity - A History of the church

The Chapel of the Holy Trinity was conceived in 1839.  A meeting of subscribers was held on April 3rd at St Mary’s Church, Whittlesey, and adjourned to the Town Hall, chaired by Revd Simeon Lloyd Pope.  The other subscribers were John Walbanke Childers MP, J Jones Bateman, Charles Boyce, John Little, Harry Little and Joseph Waddilow, who built the original Chapel of Rest.  Mr Childers was thanked for his ‘handsome donation’.

Mr Childers surrendered the house and land to the committee for the chapel.  Repairs to the house were accounted at £6.6s, and Revd Brocklebank was permitted to live there rent free.

In July 1839, The Architect Mr Wilde received four tenders to build the chapel:         

Toby Rusell
Boyce & Richmond
Mr Ruff
Bennett & Grounds

£1488.0.0d
£1395.3.9d
£1230.0.0d
£1178.0.0d

The Bennett and Grounds tender was accepted, and the first stone was laid by Revd Pope on Saturday 4th September 1839.

On 25 January 1840, £345 was paid to the builders for work carried out, and a further £51 to the architect for travelling expenses.

In April, a subscription of £50 from Mrs Childers was announced, and further payments to the builders and architect were made, of £420 and £20 respectively.

In June, the committee viewed the building work and were extremely dissatisfied with the little progress.  The Chairman undertook to write to the contractors and seek immediate completion.  It was recorded that in July the Committee, having met with the contractors, expostulated on the backward state of the work, and received assurance that the work would be completed by the agreed date.  On 27 July 1840 the building was inspected, and on 28 July the Episcopal chapel at Coates was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, Bishop Allan, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, thenceforth the building was known as THE CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY.  At this service the Bishop delivered a sermon on preaching the gospel to the poor.  The church, described as ‘neat and primitive’ was filled to every corner by the congregation, and a collection taken raised almost 60/.

The first incumbent was Revd Thomas Bedford, and Harry Little served as Chapel Warden.

After the consecration of the chapel, a bazaar was held at The Falcon Inn to raise further funds for the chapel, and £388.10.7d was raised

In August further monies were paid, £19 to Mr Wilde, £1 to the workmen, and £219.15s to the contractors.  It was agreed to advance a further £100 to the contractors from the 25% retained by the committee.

Revd Pope died in 1855.

In 1874 the church was restored to seat 501 people with open benches and aisles, at a cost of £1050.  At the time the population was recorded as 1266.

John Childers died in 1886.


The church continues to serve the people of Coates, Eastrea and Turves, and has services at 9.15am on Wednesdays and 9.30am on Sundays.

.